Wednesday, September 8, 2010

To Be A Super Mom

Well, both kids are back in school and although my summer mantra has been "I just need some alone time!", I must admit that I am a little bit blue. I have a pile of work that needs to get done, and even more laundry, but I seem a bit paralyzed at the moment to do anything.
Motherhood is a funny thing. It's like a runaway train. You can't stop it from going full speed ahead. There is no time to rest.
This past year I found myself totally exhausted. My temper was short and I had raised my voice way too many times to make my point. This is not the Mom that I want to be to my kids. Too often I didn't stop to appreciate what my kids were saying or doing and now I can't get those moments back. Seeing them go off to school this week, I realize that I better take the time to appreciate it, or it will fly away from me faster than I can blink an eye.
I adore my kids. They give me so much joy. There are times when I find myself laughing out loud at something they said or did days ago. They are six years apart and both have amazing qualities (and some not so great, but that's another blog).
I have always wanted to be a Mom, but the truth is that I desperately want to be a Super Mom.
I remember seeing an episode of Oprah where they talked about parenting being the toughest job on the planet. I agree. It's also the most rewarding job. They also were talking about the importance of taking care of yourself so that you can give the best of yourself as a parent. In this, I also agree, but it's easy to forget.

Working Moms don't have it easy. There is so much to juggle and too much work to be done in a short amount of time. However, it CAN be done.
The first step in Super Momdom is to take care of oneself.
For me, it means making the time to meditate and go to Yoga. Getting organized. Being creative. Being smart with my career. Eating better. Sleeping more and laughing. A lot.
So, let's just sit for a minute more, and then get started already! Now, where is that cape?

2 comments: